Tuesday, May 14, 2013

Best of TEXAS


Riding Tex, the one-ton Texas Longhorn bull! No matter where I roam, I shall never forget my Texas-sized adventure in Texas! (Photo by Brennan Wells)

After burning my tires across 5,000 miles of Texas roads, I can say with confidence that I know Texas slightly better than I did a month ago. My travels in the Lone Star State became a month-long search for self-discovery and digging deep to find out what it really means to be Texan. I learned much.


I also learned that Texas is just way too big to fit into any one blog or any single list, but I can share a few of my most distinct memories and favorites from the place where I was born. Though I know I only mildly scratched the gargantuan surface of a big place, this list represents my very best of Texas:



  • Best (and biggest!) Rodeo: Houston Livestock Show & Rodeo, Houston, TX

  • Best Patriotic Site: Presidio La Bahia, Goliad, TX

  • Best Tacos (OK, I’m gonna get in so much trouble with this one, but out of the dozens upon dozens of tacos that I devoured, my favorites were: Alfredo’s (Uvalde, TX), Easy-to-go-Tacos #3 (Los Fresnos, TX), Taco Tote (El Paso), and Guero’s (Austin, TX).

  • Best Steak: Country Barn Steakhouse, Amarillo, TX

  • Best Barbecue: Kreuz Market, Lockhart, TX

  • Best Ice Cream: Blue Bell of course (though Amy’s in Austin is stiff competition). Best flavor? Lemon Bliss.

  • Best Sandwich: Crofutt’s, Bayside, TX

  • (World’s Best) Onion Rings: Hil’s Burgers in Canyon, TX

  • Best Bakery: Naegelin’s Bakery, New Braunfels, TX

  • Best Museum: Panhandle-Plains Historical Museum, Canyon, TX

  • Best Gift Shop: The Alamo, San Antonio, TX

  • Best Boots: Allen’s Boots, Austin, TX

  • Best Vintage Shopping: Rag & Bone, Amarillo, TX

  • Best Horse: McLeod (Horses on the Beach) Padre Island, TX

  • Best Historic Site: Mission San José, San Antonio, TX

  • Best Ranch: Cibolo Creek Ranch, Presidio, TX

  • Best Coconut Cake: Cornudas, TX

  • Best Cafe: Red Top Cafe, Orla, TX

  • Best Hotel Room: “Houston, We Have a Problem!” Suite, Hotel Zaza, Houston, TX

  • Best Seafood: Doc’s, Corpus Christi, TX

  • Best Scenic Drive: US Route 62 from the New Mexico border through Guadalupe Mountains National Park, TX

  • Best Mustaches: Pecos, TX

  • Best Zoo: Houston Zoo, Houston, TX

  • Best Beach: Mustang Island State Park, Corpus Christi, TX

  • Best Run: GSL Trail, Palo Duro Canyon, TX

  • Best Place to Get a Flat Tire: El Paso, TX

  • Best Radio Station: Marfa Public Radio, Marfa, TX

  • Best Live Show: The Rangerettes, Kilgore, TX

  • Best Country Dancing: Round-Up Saloon, Dallas, TX

  • Best Flowers: Azalea Trail, Tyler, TX

  • Best National Park: Big Bend National Park

  • Best State Park: Washington-on-the-Brazos State Park, Washington, TX

Best of TEXAS

No comments:

Post a Comment