Tuesday, May 21, 2013

I Heart My City: Job’s London


A pink pelican (in front of Buckingham Palace) in Hyde Park. (Photograph by Stijn Van Langenhoven, My Shot)

As the world prepares for the Summer Olympics (the opening ceremony  is this Friday), we thought we’d do a special, hyped-up edition of I Heart My City to give you three very different takes on this year’s host city. We’ve asked three unique Londoners — a television producer, a luxury bikini designer, and a guerilla geographer — to sound off on their storied city. Here’s Number 1. 


Job Rabkin is social affairs producer at Channel 4 News, one of the UK’s main news and current affairs television shows — and, before that, was a producer for BBC News. In his free time, Job is a class-A foodie, a political junkie, and a father to two beautiful boys (and a husband to one fabulous woman). Check out Job’s favorite things about being a Londoner, then follow him on Twitter @JobRabkin.


London  is My City


The first place I take a visitor from out of town is Tate Modern at Bankside, the Millenium Bridge, and St. Paul’s Cathedral.


A man feeds the birds on Millenium Bridge. (Photograph by Sanitha Nair, My Shot)


When I crave meat I always go Mangal, a Turkish joint on Arcola Street in Dalston, E8.


When I crave Indian food, I always go Brick Lane in Shoreditch.


To escape traffic I head to my bike. London is a great city for cycling with many smaller roads closed to traffic. So-called “Boris Bikes” can be hired at one place and dropped off at another.


If I want to see a play I go to the West End theatre district.


The scene at Brick Lane in East London. (Photograph by Mariusz Smiejek, My Shot)


For complete quiet, I can hide away on Hampstead Heath.


If you come to my city, get your picture taken with a beefeater at the Tower of London.


If you have to order one thing off the menu from Bar Italia in Soho it has to be cappuccino — it’s the best in London.


La Fromagerie off Marleybone High Street is my one-stop shop for great cheese.


Locals know to skip the supermarkets and check out London’s huge range of food markets instead.


When I’m feeling cash-strapped I catch the Thames River Bus, which provides spectacular views for very little cash.


Londoners fly kites on Hampstead Heath. (Photograph by Gordon Esler, My Shot)


For a huge splurge I go to Bond Street for all the top luxury brands.


Photo ops in my city include the Palace of Westminster, Buckingham Palace, and Trafalgar Square, and the best vantage points are from Waterloo Bridge, the South Bank, and Tower Bridge.


If my city were a celebrity it’d be Kate Moss.


The most random thing about my city is the excessive number of fried-chicken shops.


The Palace of Westminster is home to the House of Lords and the House of Commons. (Photograph by Sebastian Wasek, My Shot)


My city has the most football-obsessed men.


My city has the most originally fashionable women.


In my city, an active day outdoors involves walking, running, boating, swimming, or cycling.


My city’s best museum is Tate Modern.


My favorite jogging/walking route is Thames River Walk or Hampstead Heath.


For a night of dancing, go to Shoreditch, Dalston, or Smithfield, home to a huge number of clubs. Or, for live music, check out the live venues in Europe’s capital of music.


Brick Lane Beigel Bake in Spitalfields E1 is the spot for late-night eats.


To find out what’s going on at night and on the weekends, read Time Out London or The Guide, published by The Guardian.


You can tell a lot about my city from its architecture.


You can tell if someone is from my city if they dodge cunningly through crowds.


A Japanese pagoda in Kew Gardens. (Photograph by Tomasz Zakrzewski, My Shot)


In the spring you should visit Kenwood House.


In the summer you should hang out at Kew Gardens.


In the fall you should wander through Hyde Park.


In the winter you should enjoy food shopping at Borough Market.


A hidden gem in my city is the Horniman Museum and Gardens in the burbs. Its amazing collection and aquarium shouldn’t be missed.


For a great breakfast joint, try Andrews Restaurant on Grays Inn Road.


The Notting Hill Carnival is the world's second largest street festival. (Photograph by Nikolai Mirchev, My Shot)


Don’t miss the Notting Hill Carnival in August.


Just outside my city, you can visit any number of fabulous historic houses, castles, and gardens. Some of the best are Hampton Court Palace, the home of Henry VIII, and Windsor Castle, the oldest inhabited castle in the world. Also, if you want to get a taste of how the English aristocracy lived, be sure to visit Hatfield House.


The best way to see my city is by foot or by bike.


If my city were a pet it would be a Jack Russell Terrier.


Get your picture taken with the iconic guards at Windsor Castle. (Photograph by Mike Guzman, My Shot)


If I didn’t live in a city, I’d live by the sea.


The best books about my city are too many to mention. Writers have been writing about London since the Romans, from Dickens, to Virginia Woolf, to John Lanchester’s new book Capital. I enjoyed the Buddha of Suburbia by Hanif Kureishi amongst others.


When I think about my city, the song that comes to mind is ”London’s Burning” by The Clash.


If you have kids, you won’t want to miss The Science Museum in Kensington.


The North London Derby between Arsenal and Tottenham Hotspur football clubs could only happen in my city.


My city should be featured on your cover or website because with this year’s Olympics it’s the place to be this summer.

I Heart My City: Job’s London

No comments:

Post a Comment