Wednesday, May 15, 2013

Monday Travel Update – Exhausted in Dubrovnik Edition



View from my room in Dubrovnik



I’ve arrived in Dubrovnik and am ready to collapse. The month of running around Germany and Croatia have finally caught up to me, not to mention to unseasonably cold weather that I was ill prepared to deal with.


After a month of freezing temperatures I arrived to Zagreb last week to find temperatures slightly warmer, but with no snow. I was happy that it was a move in the right direction.


I then drove to Plitvice National Park (which is awesome by the way) only to get caught in an April snowstorm and the victim of some very poor advice from Google maps. Long story short, I had to get park rangers to drag my car (with no snow tires) up a slippery hill.

After that headed towards to coast where I finally found sunny skies and warm(er) weather. When I popped out the other side of the tunnel that went through the mountains that separates the Dalmatian coast, there was an 11C (20F) change in weather. I was even more happy.


However, there is a big difference between warm and warmish, and the temperature along the coast, while much better than what I experienced in Germany, was still chilly. The end result is that I now have a horrible spring cold, complete with runny nose and hacking cough.


I also feel like I am jet lagged.


With only a few exceptions, I’ve been in a different hotel room every almost night for the last month. I’ll be in Dubrovnik for the next week doing nothing but resting, washing my clothes (you have no idea how long it has been since I’ve done laundry), getting my haircut and basically just enjoying Dubrovnik.


Next Monday I’ll be flying to Jordan, a country I last visited back in 2009. I’ll be revisiting sites like Wadi Rum and Petra and visiting some new sites in the north that I wasn’t able to visit previously.


With that, I’m going to bed and hopefully will be able to write more this week in Dubrovnik.

Monday Travel Update – Exhausted in Dubrovnik Edition

No comments:

Post a Comment