Monday, May 20, 2013

Monday Travel Update – Wisconsin Heatwave Edition


The last week has been a busy one for me. I spent most of the week in New York and flew to Wisconsin on Friday. While in New York I had meetings for what may turn out to be the biggest project in the history of this website. I’ll have more information if/when it is finalized and confirmed.


In addition to the business meetings, I was also able to meet old and new friends while I was in New York. I also enjoy visiting New York, but I also enjoy leaving as well. My limit for New York is about a week. Beyond that, it gets a bit too much. Whenever I’m there I always think that it would be a good idea to move to New York for a few months, but that idea is almost always tossed aside within a few days.


I’ll be in Wisconsin until the first week of August and then I’ll be off to the Book Passage Travel Writing Conference outside of San Francisco. After that I’ll be on a project that I’ll be announcing soon, and then I’m off to northern Manitoba on August 25 to take photos of polar bears!


One thing I never do when I’m in Wisconsin is be a tourist in my own home state. This time I’m actually going to do some tourist things, starting with visiting the Experimental Aircraft Association (EAA) Show in Oshkosh. For one week Oshkosh, Wisconsin becomes the busiest airport in the world as people from across the globe fly in their private planes. During the show you can see historic aircraft flying over head all the time. I also might finally get down to Frank Lloyd Wright’s home in Taliesin.


 


Winner of the Scottevest $1000 Shopping Spree


We have a winner in the biggest contest in the history of Everything Everywhere. The winner of a $1000 Scottevest shopping spree is SadieB! I hope she fills up her bag for her next trip!


If you live in North America, this summer has been a hot one. It probably isn’t the best time of year to be running around wearing a jacket. Not to worry, Scottevest has warm weather gear too. Here is my recent review of my favorite shirt, the Scottevest Cotton-T.


What I’m Reading


I heard about Trust Me, I’m Lying: Confessions of a Media Manipulator online and actually pre-ordered it before I found out that Ryan Holiday and I actually have the same literary agent. The book was a pretty quick read, and despite what the cover might suggest, the book isn’t a how to manual for manipulating the media. It is mostly a long rant against the news blogs like Gawker, Huffington Post and Jezebel. Oddly enough, for a guy that has spent most of his life online, the book could very well have been written by a 60-something veteran newspaper reporter complaining about the internet. There is a lot of truth to what he says about the pageview hungry business model of these sites, but he paints with a very broad brush and doesn’t really address that there are decent sites out there doing good work.

Monday Travel Update – Wisconsin Heatwave Edition

No comments:

Post a Comment