Monday, May 13, 2013

Tuesday Travel Update – Floating Around the Dead Sea


The Canyon in Wadi Mujib

The Canyon in Wadi Mujib



After two weeks in Croatia, mostly exploring the Dalmatian Coast I’ve arrived in Jordan.


I previously visited Jordan in 2009 during my first trip through the Middle East. I arrived via ferry from Nuweiba, Egypt and only explored the southern part the country: Aqaba, Wadi Rum and Petra. When we were contacted by Jordan Tourism (who paid for my trip) about a return trip, I expressed an interest in seeing the northern part of the country and returning to Wadi Rum and Petra to reshoot those sites.


The northern part of Jordan is full of deep history. Ruins on the same site overlap from Nabataeans, Romans, Byzantines, Umayyads and Ottomans. Just to give you an idea, here is a sampling of the sites I was able to visit during the last week:



  • Roman city of Jerash

  • The Umayyad site of Quseir Amra (World Heritage Site)

  • The Fort of Azraq

  • The Citadel of Amman

  • The Bethany Baptismal site of Jesus

  • The Ruins of Um er-Rasas (World Heritage Site)


All of those sites are within a 90 minute drive of Amman. I’ve sort of been kicking myself for not having taken the time to get to Amman back in 2009.


As I am writing this I am on the shore of the Dead Sea where I’ll be leaving in a few hours, heading south to Petra and Wadi Rum.


A frequent question I get from people is if I ever return to places I have previously visited. The answer is, yes. I’m more than happy to return to places I’ve been to in the past if those places are exceptional. My photography has improved considerably since 2009 so I’m looking forward to reshooting both locations and getting some of the shots I missed previously. Both Wadi Rum and Petra are 5-star attractions in my book and probably the two biggest attractions in Jordan. (Actually, Wadi Rum doesn’t get nearly as many visitors as Jerash or the Dead Sea, but it should)


I’ve been battling a really bad cough the last two weeks, ever since I arrived in the Dalmatian Coast in Croatia. I am finally getting over it, but I still have a lingering cough that seems to go away when I’m active. Being at the Dead Sea has helped. Not only is it warmer here, but the increased atmospheric pressure of being so far below sea level makes it easier to breathe. I have found many times in my travels that the cure for a bad cold is just warm weather and sunshine.


I’ll be in Jordan for the next week and then I’m off to Italy to get ready for my photography tour that begins on May 11.

Tuesday Travel Update – Floating Around the Dead Sea

No comments:

Post a Comment